4 CC Wrestlers Win State Titles
Catholic Central came home big from the individual state wrestling finals this past weekend.
By Danna Castillo
MHSAA Individual State Finals were held at the Palace of Auburn Hills this weekend and there was no shortage of Detroit Catholic Central accomplishments. CC sent 12 wrestlers to do battle with the best of the best the State of Michigan had to offer.
Of those 12, four are state champions. CC also won the team wrestling state title the week before. Here's a recap of how all the wrestlers did:
- 285—Senior Robert Coe—2013 State Champion Coe pinned Brian Darious of East Lansing in 4:54, Ritchie Roberts of Warren DeLaSalle in 1:33. Defeated Holland West Ottawa's Miguel Correa 4-2 in the Championship round. Coe finished his high school wrestling season 44-4.
- 112—Sophomore Parker O'Brien is ranked Honarable Mention by the Michigan Grappler. O'Brien lost his first round to Grand Haven Sophomore Camden Bertucci and his second round to Rochester Adams Senior Justin Schofield in a very tight match 0-1. O'Brien finished his season 33-15.
- 119—Sophomore Trevor Zedebski, ranked #3 by Michigan Grappler finished at the MHSAA State Finals in 3rd place. He had trouble with #7 ranked Nate Hughes of Hartland in the first two rounds but was able to finish him off 7-4. Zedebski then went toe to toe with the eventual 2013 State Champ, senior Shayne Wireman of Holt. Zedebski kept the score tight but lost 4-5. That loss sent him to the consolation rounds where he had to battle back, picking off Plymouth's Trey Berry and Midland Dow's Patrick Bassett, both by pin, and Port Huron Northern's Austin Thompson before pinning Rochester Adams Senior and #9 ranked Steven Biebelhausen for a 3rd place finish. Zedebski finishes his season with an impressive 40-7.
- 125—#8 Ranked Junior Evan Toth had a rough weekend. He was majored 12-4 his first round by Honorable Mention ranked Joey Dombrowski of New Baltimore Anchor Bay. He came back on fire in round 2 versus Waterford Ketterings Brandon Conrad and majored him 11-2, only to lose in round 3 to Temperance Bedford's Mitch Pawlak, ranked #5 by Michigan Grappler 5-10. He finishes his junior season 37-9.
- 130—Sophomore Myles Amine, a #4 ranked wrestler finished his 2013 year with a 3rd place overall finish. Amine teched Kyle Granger of Holt 15-0 in round 1 and defeated Oxford's Edwin Schlickenmeyer 3-1 in OT before losing to eventual State Champ Austin Eicher of Hartland 2-4 in the semi',s moving him to the consolation rounds to battle back for 3rd. He defeated Alex Molloy of Southgate Anderson in OT, which set him up for a rematch with Oxford's Edwin Schlickenmeyer. This time there was no OT and Amine put Schlickenmeyer in his place with a decisive 6-4 win. Myles Amine finishes his sophomore season 37-7.
- 135—#1 ranked Senior Ken Bade—2013 State Champion Bade pinned Grand Blanc senior Pellumb Kurtaga in 2:52 to move on to Adam Pawlowski of Muskegan Mona Shores in a Major Decision 12-3 win. That set him up for the match everyone was waiting for, a one on one with returning state champ and #2 ranked Justin Oliver of Davison. Although it was supposed to be a grueling grudge match, powerhouse vs powerhouse, Bade handled Oliver handily, defeating him 9-3. That put Bade in the finals versus Oliver's teammate, junior and #3 ranked Matt Miller. Bade defeated Miller in OT 4-3 to win the 2013 State Championship. Bade finishes his senior season 40-7 And as a three-time state champion.
- 140—#1 Ranked Junior Malik Amine—2013 State Champion Amine teched senior Jake Hazelton of Rochester Hills Stoney Creek 15-0 before defeating senior and #7 ranked Carter Stoddard of Davison 7-1 and #2 ranked Rochester Senior Kaelan Richards 7-5. Amine then saw #5 Eric Rybarz of New Baltimore Anchor Bay in the finals and handily defeated him 11-6. Amine finishes his season 40-6.
- 152—Senior and Honorable Mention ranked Mike Babicz finished his Senior year 34-19 on day two of the MHSAA Individual State Finals. He lost his first round to eventual Champion #5 Ranked Nick Vandermeer of Clarkston 7-0 and a round to to Anchor Bay's John Yank, who went on to place 7th overall.
- 160—Junior and #1 ranked Logan Marcicki had a very good day Pinning Utica Ford's Aaron Wells and majoring Grand Blanc's Carson Whaley before winning a very tough and exciting match over #3 ranked Dean Vettese of Rochester 3-2, which drew boo's from the crowd. Marciki moved on to the finals versus Davison junior and #2 ranked Jordan Cooks in what was an exciting round of wrestling. It just happened to be Jordan Cooks' day as he defeated Marcicki 8-5. Logan Marcicki takes the runner up position.
- 171—Junior and #1 ranked Andrew Garcia—2013 State Champion got it done at the Palace on Saturday. After a runner-up finish his freshman year, he has proven he is definitely a force to be reckoned with. He pinned Caldonia freshman Zane Gorby in :41, moved on to Rochester's Shane Shadaia and defeated him by decision 5-2, majored Davison's Tyler Wildmo 13-5, and took down #3 ranked Hartland wrestler Mitchel Thomas 8-2. He was on a mission, stayed focused and is now a two-time defending state champion.
- 189—Honorable mention ranked Junior Jimmy Russell finished his season 34-16 after losing round to #4 ranked Chris Calvano of Clarkston, who moved on to be the eventual runner up in the 189 pound class. He defeated Macomb Dakota's Antonio Balabani 5-2 in round 2, only to see teammate and #5 ranked Nick Giese in what was a great battle of CC powers. In the end, Giese won the match 3-2 and moved on to place.
- 189—#5 Ranked Sophomore Nick Giese had to battle back from an early loss in round 2 versus #2 ranked Rodney Harvey of Battle Creek Lakeview 2-3. Giese pinned Hartland Senior Ryan Hill in 3:01 in round 1 and faced off with teammate Jimmy Russell in round 3, beating him by decision 3-2 to battle through his next 3 opponents, #6 ranked Trayvon Speed of East Lansing-pin 3:36, #4 ranked Allen Steele of Livonia Franklin 3-1 and Wyoming's #7 ranked Jack Rozema 5-1 for a 3rd place finish. Giese finishes his sophomore season 42-13.