LIVE: Northville Wrestling Coverage at The Palace
Stirton places seventh in his weight class.
AUBURN HILLS — Northville's Ian Stirton, at 125 pounds, lost to Kyle Hill of Oxford by pin in the third round of the consolation bracket Saturday morning.
Stirton went on to take seventh place by default.
"We made the bump at districts from 112 to 125," Northville coach Adam Coe said. "He's worked his tail off. Ian, it's all about hard work, attitude and heart. I've never seen a kid want it as much as he does. We've very proud of him."
Here are Friday's results:
- Stirton finished a single leg take down, despite being aggressively hit with a crossface, en route to a 3-1 win over Trent Samuels. The bout was previously tied at one all and Stirton took the shot to score the take down with :30 remaining. Stirton is now qualified for the medal roud. He trailed 1-0 going into the final period but started on bottom and escaped just :10 into the period.
- Trevor Maresh was defeated, 9-2, by Lake Orion's Adam Gros. Both of Maresh’s poins came via escapes. Gros extended his lead to 6-1 with a takedown into a half-nelson that led to near fall points. With the loss Maresh (171) is eliminated from the tournament.
- Stirton was defeated, 16-0, at the hands of Howell’s Alex Calandrino. Calandrino has lost just once all season and now has 54 wins.
- Maresh (171 pounds) won 6-1 over Matthew Franklin in the consolation bracket.
- Brighton’s Andrew White (152) defeated Jonathan Montgomery of Northville 8-2.