Northville 2012 Voter Guide
The candidates, incumbents and issues that will affect Northville.
This is a big election year nationally, statewide and locally.
As we look ahead to November’s elections, Northville Patch is devoted to bring you the information you need about every race in town. Here's our start on the candidates and issues we'll be covering as November draws near. Bookmark this page for updates.
- President Barack Obama: Obama has already made several visits to Michigan in the past few months as he seeks a second term in office. His Michigan Director addressed the Northville Democratic Club in January.
- Mitt Romney: The former governor and Michigan native won the primary in Michigan and in Northville. The presumed GOP nominee held his victory rally in Novi that night. Romney has ties to Northville. His niece Ronna Romney-McDaniel, who helped lead his Michigan campaign, is a Northville resident. She's headed to Tampa in August as a delegate at the Republican National Convention. Check out our story and video on this next week.
- U.S. Senate: Incumbent Democrat Debbie Stabenow is slated to be on the ballot for re-election. Republican contenders include Pete Hoekstra, Clark Durant, Gary Glenn and Randy Hekman.
- The 11th Congressional District race – Nancy Cassis of Novi, Dr. Syed Taj of Canton: Cassis is the GOP's pick for a candidate after current U.S. Rep. Thaddeus McCotter had to pull out from the race when he discovered he did not have enough signatures. Cassis will be running as a write-in candidate for the 11th District in the Aug. 7 primary. The only Republican candidate on the ballot is Kerry Bentivolio. Taj is on the Democratic ballot and is up against Bill Roberts, a LaRouche Democrat.
- State House of Representatives race: Incumbent Kurt Heise (R-Plymouth) has announced he will seek re-election. On the Democratic side, Tim Roraback is Heise's challenger.
- Wayne County commissioner, 9th District: Incumbent Laura Cox (R-Livonia) will seek re-election. In November, Democrat Susan Nichols of Northville will be her opponent.
- L. Brooks Patterson: For those Northville residents on the Oakland County side of town, Executive L. Brooks Patterson is seeking his sixth term in county office this November. The 73-year-old Republican will face Huntington Woods businessman and Democrat Kevin Howley.
- Kathy Crawford: Novi resident Kathy Crawford will be running for re-election for Oakland County Commissioner for the 9th District, which represents a portion of the city of Northville.
- Township races: To view the August 7 primary ballot for Northville Township voters, visit the clerk's page on the township website. For the office of supervisor, there are three vying for the position. There are two running for treasurer.
- School board: Since the school board election is not a partisan one, the candidates have not yet been required to declare and will not participate in the Aug. 7 primary. There are three seats that will be up for grabs, including one resigned by Anita Bartschat. She will be moving out of the country.
Come back to Northville Patch for more election updates.