Warm Up From the Cold With These Savory Drinks
Northville's Solid Grounds Coffee House owner gives two recipes for holiday drinks.
Looking to serve up a warm treat for the holidays? Here's an easy recipe for hot chocolate with peppermint and eggnog chai with strong flavors that aim to please from Teresa Berent, owner of downtown Northville's Solid Grounds Coffee House.
Hot chocolate with peppermint
- Steam whole milk to 140 degrees. Berent says she opts for whole milk because it offers a more creamy flavor and thicker texture.
- Add a few pumps of chocolate sauce, to taste, and mix. Berent prefers Ghirardelli chocolate sauce, which is what is used at the coffee shop.
- Top with whipped cream.
- Variation: For the holidays, if you'd like to add a minty garnish she recommends dropping in a peppermint stick before the steamed milk is added. The warmed milk will melt down the peppermint and mix it into its flavor.
- Pour a cup of eggnog and steam.
- Add fresh grated ginger to a separate cup of a strong black tea and bring to a boil.
- Mix half of the eggnog with half of the tea.
- Stir in a chai mix. Berent said that Solid Grounds sells a tasty chai mix. Add 1/4 teaspoon of the mix per 8 ounces made.
- Add 1 tablespoon of sugar or other sweetener and stir.