Weekend Planner: First Friday and Beyond
Looking for fun things to do over the next few days? Let us help.
It's Wednesday, and plenty of fun events start happening Thursday or thereabouts, so we're offering up a weekend planner to give you a head start. Let's begin our countdown of things-to-do:
- Where: First Presbyterian Church
- When: Noon Friday
- Pricing: $15. Call 248-349-0911 for tickets.
- Why Go: First Presbyterian is holding a luncheon followed by a lecture on the current Detroit Institute of Arts exhibit, Rembrandt and the Face of Jesus. The DIA's Lynn Cookson is the speaker.
- Where: City of Northville
- When: 6-9 p.m. Friday
- Pricing: Free
- Why Go: It's the first Friday so that means it's the perfect time to head downtown for art, appetizers, special demonstrations and more as Northville shops open up for the First Friday Experience. Also, the Northville Art House holds its 6th annual member exhibition, featuring the work of dozens of its artists.
- Where: Tipping Point Theatre
- When: 8 p.m. Thursday-Saturday, 3 p.m. Saturday, and 2 p.m. Sunday
- Pricing: $26-$30
- Why Go: The Tipping Point continues with its latest production, The Love List, a romantic comedy about finding the perfect woman. In this show a gypsy promises a man that he'll find the woman of is dreams if he provides a list of what he's looking for. He makes the list, and sure enough, she comes into his life. Even more strange -- and hilarious -- is when he changes the list: The woman's personality changes as well.
- Where: Compuware Arena, 14900 N. Beck, Plymouth
- When: 4:30 p.m. Saturday
- Pricing: $12
- Why Go: February is Heart Month, so in honor of that area emergency personnel are working to help raise awareness with a charity hockey game. You can get a heart risk assessment, and watch the Providence Hospital doctors take on the Novi Police. At 7:05 the Plymouth Whalers take on Windsor Spitfires. To buy tickets (good for both games), visit www.plymouthwhalers.com/buytickets for the Feb. 4 Whalers vs. Windsor game, click on Heartbeat Charity Game, enter HEART2 as your promotion code, and then $4 will go to the Providence Heart Institute.
- Where: Marquis Theatre
- When: 7:30 p.m. Saturday
- Pricing: $3
- Why Go: Catch another old-fashioned flick at a very retro price. This weekend's pick is "Goldfinger," the 1964 James Bond film starring Seon Connery as 007. Doors open at 6:45 p.m., so arrive early for raffles and triva before showtime.
- Our Italian Wedding continues at Genitti's Hole In The Wall. Enjoy a seven-course family style dinner and an interactive comedy spoofing an Italian wedding. Lunch and show is 11:30 a.m. Friday. $35.
- Antique Arms Collectors Showcomes to Suburban Collection Showplace, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday and 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Sunday. Tickets are $6 for adults, and members and children 12 and younger get in free. Members allowed in at 8 a.m. Parking is $5.
For more events, pay a visit our calendar page.