The enormous American flag mural on the back of the Marquis Theatre is an icon in downtown Northville, as much as the theatre itself.
Here are five things you may not know about the mural.
1. Where did it come from? Marquis Theatre owner and founder Inge Zayti, who died July 29, was a patriotic woman. She commissioned the painting of the giant American flag at the rear of the building.
2. How old is it? Zayti had it painted about 11 years ago, according to Lori Asman, actress and stage manager at the theatre.
3. What does it say? Above the flag, the mural reads: "America United September 11, 2001."
4. What will happen to it? Zayti was trying to refurbish the mural before she died, Asman said. The theatre staff wants to see her wish fulfilled. They are accepting donations to repair the mural in lieu of flowers.
5. How can you help? Those interested in donating for the repairs can call the theatre at 248-349-8110 or drop off checks at the theatre's office, 135 East Main St.