Valentine’s Day is quickly approaching and the hopeless romantic in all of us is beginning to plot our perfect Valentine’s Day date, complete with the perfect kiss. With the added pressure that Valentine’s Day tends to bring, Great Expressions Dental Centers (GEDC) would like to help you be confident going in for a kiss knowing that a good oral health regimen will be sure to ward off bad breath that could ruin the perfect date.
First dates can be uncomfortable, awkward and scary…and that’s without a kiss; don’t let poor dental health habits and bad breath ruin your chance at happily ever after. Use the following tips to prepare for a healthy mouth and go into the date confident that it will be a success!
1. Brushing teeth twice a day with a fluoride based toothpaste is critical in removing the bacteria that causes bad breath, gingivitis and cavities. Fluoride is used to strengthen the enamel of the teeth protecting them from the harmful effects of cavity causing bacteria.
2. Floss at least once daily. Flossing in the morning will remove bacteria that like to feed on food particles throughout the day and prevent bad breath.
3. Make your smile brighter starting on Valentine’s Day by having your teeth whitened.
4. Drink lots of water, as dry mouth is one reason for bad breath and water flushes out left behind food debris when brushing isn’t an option.
5. Don’t be afraid to do a self-assessment to check for left behind food in your teeth or for bad breath before going in for that smooch.
6. Take an anti-bad breath kit on your date, complete with a tooth brush, floss, mini mouthwash and a compact mirror to check for food in your teeth.