Although Earth Day is observed April 22, there are activities before and after the date to commemorate the occasion.
In metro Detroit, here are some events aimed at environmental protection:
"CITO" - Cache In Trash Out
- When: 1 p.m. Sunday, April 21
- Where: Parkview Elementary School, Novi
- What: It's a "geo cache-like" activity in which participants travel somewhere local and clean up the area of all trash/debris and hunt for "treasure" at the same time. Not only to celebrate Earth Day and Green School efforts, but to also provide a service to the community.
- Price: free
- Contact: If interested, contact Jill Wassonat firstname.lastname@example.org.
Arbor Day in Novi
- When: 10 a.m. to noon April 27
- Where: Brookfarm Park next to Village Oaks Elementary School, Novi
- What: The annual Arbor Day celebration aims to give back to the community and the environment by volunteering to plant and mulch trees. Equipment and gloves will be provided. Extra shovels are welcome. Snacks and beverages will be provided. For more information, call 248-347-0400.
GreenFest at Detroit Zoo
- When: 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. April 20 and 21
- Where: Detroit Zoo, 8450 West 10 Mile Road, Royal Oak
- What: The zoo-wide GreenFest features earth-friendly crafts, an endangered species scavenger hunt, animal-enrichment activities, zookeeper talks and exhibits, a rock-climbing wall, family yoga lessons, composting demonstrations live entertainment and more.
- Price: Earth Day activities are free with general admission.
Recycling Tours in Troy
- When: April 22-27 by calling 248-288-5150 or emailing email@example.com in advance for group tours.
- Where: SOCRRA Recycling Center, 995 Coolidge Hwy., Troy.
- What: The Southeastern Oakland County Resource Recovery Authority will have a weeklong celebration by offering free tours of the Material Recovery Facility. Tours last about 30 minutes, featuring recycling displays and sorting procedures.
- Price: Free
Michigan Earth Day Fest
- When: 4-8 p.m. April 26, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. April 27, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. April 28
- Where: Downtown Rochester
- What: The MI Green team will host the MI Earth Day Fest on Third & Water Streets with more than 150 exhibits and free entertainment for all ages.
- Price: Admission and parking are free. For more information, visit www.miEDF.org
Household Electronics Recycling
- When: 9 a.m.-5 p.m. April 27
- Where: Parking lot of Chrysler Trenton Engine Complex, 2300 Van Horn Road, Trenton
- What: Chrysler Trenton Engine Complex will host the third annual Household Electronics Recycling event for households, not businesses.
- For more information, call 313-423-4552 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
National Earth Day
- When: 10 a.m. to noon May 4
- Where: MSU Tollgate Gardens, 28115 Meadowbrook Road, Novi
- What: The City of Novi partners with MSU Extension Tollgate to celebrate National Earth Day by mulching, planting trees, weeding and preparing the Hungry Garden for the spring planting. Snacks and beverages will be provided. For more information, call 248-347-0400 or email@example.com.
Source: Michigan Department of Environmental Quality
For more Earth Day events in the region, visit the DEQ's website.
Do you know of another local Earth Day event? Tell us in the comments.