Steven Utash, who was beaten to the brink of death in an April 2 mob attack that sparked outrage across the country, will be going home later this week, his family said.
Utash’s daughter, Mandi Emerick, said in an Instagram post Tuesday that her father is “doing so much better” and “is almost back to his old self,” The Detroit News reports.
Utash was transferred from St. John’s Hospital to the Rehabilitation Institute of Michigan, a center that focuses on neurological and memory injuries at the Detroit Medical Center, earlier this month.
The 54-year-old Clinton Township tree trimmer suffered severe head trauma after the beating, which occurred when he stopped to help a 10-year-old boy he had accidentally hit with his pickup truck.
Emerick said her father no longer requires around-the-clock care in his room. “We are overjoyed that he is okay,” she wrote. She said he will be released on Friday.
Last week, his family said he had no memory of the attack, but was physically improving.Four adults have been charged with assault with intent to commit murder, and a 16-year-old juvenile has been charged with assault and ethnic intimidation.