Before stepping into a jewelry store, you should make sure to familiarize yourself with information so you know exactly what you're looking for. There are so many different cuts, stones, and metals to choose from.
Here is a an overview of some things you should know:
- Princess Cut - Box or square shape
- Round or Brilliant Cut - Circular shape, this is the most traditional
- Oval Cut - Elongated circular shape
- Pear Cut - Resembles a tear drop
- Marquise Cut - Has points on both ends
- Emerald Cut - Rectangular Shape
The four C's
- Cut - Refers to the different placement and amount of small polished surfaces that are "cut" into your diamond, which allows the gem to act as a prism
- Color - Diamonds can come in over colors, the more colorless they are the more they go up in price. Most colorless is coded "D" and "Z" for the least colorless which almost looks yellow.
- Clarity - There are different clarity scale ratings: FL (Flawless) means no color, blemishes, or external chips. IF (Internally Flawless) means no flaws are visible under 10x magnification. VS1 or VS2 (Very Slightly Included) meants that at 10x magnification you will have moderate difficulty locating any flaws. SI1 or SI2 (Slightly Included) means that you can see flaws on 10x magnification. I1 to I3 mean you can see the flaws with your own two eyes.
- Carat Weight - Refers to how much the ring weighs.